A bush tucker garden, binoculars for a bird watching group and a recycling program are among the projects set to be funded at local primary schools by Wingecarribee Shire Council’s School Enviro-Assist Grants.
With the support of Council’s Environment Levy, thirteen schools have been allocated funding totalling $7,730 to assist with a variety of environmental and sustainability initiatives.
The grants were made available to primary schools as a consequence of the unfortunate cancellation of last year’s School’s Environment Day due to rain.
Council’s Manager of Environment and Sustainability Barry Arthur said the grants would assist local schools to continue the fantastic work they already do in terms of sustainability and the environment.
“We are very happy to be able to support young people with these School Enviro-Assist Grants, and the schools involved are understandably excited to receive funding to assist with such a wide range of environmental projects” he said.
“It’s another example of the way our Environment Levy is being used to foster and support sustainable initiatives in the Southern Highlands.”
Schools to receive funding include:
- Mittagong Public School – Recycling Program & Native planting
- St Paul’s Primary School, Moss Vale – School Garden
- Gib Gate – Kitchen Garden
- Hill Top Public School – Eco Food Garden
- Avoca Public School – Bush Tucker Sustainability Unit
- Wingello Public School – Binoculars for School Bird Watching Group
- Burrawang Public School – Edible Garden Project
- Robertson Public School – Robo Rangers – Water Tank & Compost
- Kangaloon Public School – Garden & Co-op Refurbishment
- Moss Vale Public School – Bush Tucker Garden planting
- Glenquarry Public School – Excursion to Wooglemai Environmental Education Centre
- Exeter Public School – Vegetable Garden Rejuvenation & Extension
- Colo Vale Public School – Eco Garden extension
The community will be able to see the development of the projects as part of a display planned for World Environment Day celebrations in June.
For further information contact Council’s Environmental Projects Officer, Joe Stammers on 4868 0813 or email firstname.lastname@example.org,gov.au