Wingecarribee Shire Council is inviting the youth of the Southern Highlands to come together and celebrate NSW Youth Week from Wednesday 10 April to Thursday 18 April 2019.
Council’s Youth Liaison Officer Michelle Williams explained the importance of the week for our Shire’s young residents.
“It provides a chance for our youth to get involved with Council and local service organisations, meet other young people with similar interests and find out how they can get involved with other events throughout the year,” she said.
- SafeTALK – a suicide prevention training program for young people aged over 15 years on Wednesday 10 April.
- Interactive workshops with the Sturt Gallery and Maruku Arts from the Northern Territory on Wednesday 10 and Thursday 11 April.
- Connect and Celebrate Festival at Moss Vale’s Leighton Gardens on Saturday 13 April from 2pm to 5pm. Event to be followed by a family-friendly screening of Disney Pixar’s Incredibles 2 at 6.30pm.
- All Stars Basketball Charity Event to raise awareness for youth mental health hosted by Moss Vale and District Basketball Association on Sunday 14 April between 2pm and 6pm.
- School holiday fun with Hill Top Community Centre’s Games 2 U on Tuesday 16 April from 12pm to 3pm.
- ReFrame’s afternoon of arts and music celebrating the creativity and imagination of young people on Wednesday 17 April from 1pm to 6pm.
- Vinnie’s Youth Homelessness Service are hosting an arts launch in Mittagong on Wednesday 17 April from 6pm to 7pm to raise awareness of youth homelessness in our community.
- Adventure lovers can participate in an Amazing Race Around Bowral on Thursday 18 April for a chance to win with the Highlands Youth Centre.
All local NSW Youth Week events are free to attend, visit www.wsc.nsw.gov.au/events for booking details.
“These events are a fantastic opportunity for teenagers and young adults across the Shire to have some fun in a drug and alcohol-free environment,” said Michelle.
Council is working with Lifeline, Sturt Gallery and Studios, Highlands Youth Service, Moss Vale and District Basketball Association, Southern Highlands Suicide Prevention Program, Hill Top Community Centre, Vinnie’s Youth Homelessness Service, South Western Sydney Local Area Health, ReFrame and Highlands Community Centres to deliver the 2019 program of events.
For more information, contact Council’s Youth Liaison Officer on phone 4868 0888.