Have your say about positive ageing in the Southern Highlands
Wingecarribee Shire Council is encouraging people over the age of 55, or anyone passionate about creating a community that supports positive ageing, to complete its Positive Ageing Strategy Community Survey.
The aim of this survey is to understand what is important to older people living in the Southern Highlands and what can be done to improve the Shire for people as they age.
Councillor Arkwright, Chair of Council’s Seniors Working Group, explained that, “Council will use the survey results in developing its Positive Ageing Strategy 2016-2026.”
“The Strategy will document how Council aims to support older people to live happy, healthy and independent lives, while maintaining and enhancing their connections to the community,” she said.
“The number of people living in the Shire aged 65 years and over will increase from about 20 per cent of our current total population to around one third of all residents by 2031,” Councillor Arkwright added. “The ageing of our population presents both challenges and opportunities.”
“As a Council, and a community, we need to understand and plan for this demographic change.”
The survey is open from Thursday 2 April to Thursday 23 April 2015 and is available:
- online at www.yoursaywingecaribee.com.au; and
- in hard copy from the Customer Service Centre, Visitors Information Centre and all Council libraries.
- A hard copy of the survey is also being sent to a random sample of concessional rate payers.
The survey is the first stage of consultation Council is conducting in developing the Positive Ageing Strategy. The community will also be able to attend one of the following community consultation sessions, and/or provide written feedback on draft documents at key points in the project.
- Mittagong Community Centre, Monday 18 May, 1-3pm
- Bundanoon Soldiers Memorial Hall, Tuesday 19 May, 10-12am
- Moss Vale Civic Centre, Tuesday 19 May, 2.30-4.30pm
- Hill Top Community Centre, Wednesday 20 May, 10-12am
- Bowral, Henrietta Rose Room, Wednesday 20 May, 2-4pm
For further information please visit www.yoursaywingecarribee.com.au or contact Eliza Hazlett, Council’s Ageing Project Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org or on phone (02) 4868 0761.