Have you got a water meter?

3 December, 2013Posted in: Development

With a number of new land releases recently open to the public, Wingecarribee Shire Council is reminding new property owners of their responsibilities when connecting to the water supply system.

“An audit of recently constructed houses across the Shire have found that some of the buildings did not have water meters installed,” said Nick Wilton, Council’s Group Manager Development Services.

“We remind people that accessing Council’s water supply without consent, or without payment, is illegal and can attract penalties.

“Whilst some of the recent incidents may have been an oversight, new home owners should be aware of their responsibilities when constructing their homes,” Mr Wilton said.

Under the Local Government Act 1993 and the Water Management Act 2000, Council requires an application form from property owners to install a meter before any water usage commences. This application form is available from Council’s website at www.wsc.nsw.gov.au/services/water-sewerage/water-sewerage-services or from Council’s Moss Vale Civic Centre.

On receipt of the Application Form, which is normally submitted at the same time as the owner submits a Section 68 Plumbing Approval Application form, Council will organise to have the water meter professionally installed by its Water and Sewer Department prior to occupation.

“We also remind anyone who thinks they may have an existing faulty or incorrectly working water meter to contact Council on phone 4868 0888 to arrange for a Council Officer to inspect the meter and replace it if necessary.”