Wingecarribee Shire Council has this month been notified by the NSW Government that it has been successful in its application for almost $200,000 in grant funding to upgrade some of the Shire’s busiest bus stops.
In total 11 bus stops between Robertson and Hill Top will be upgraded as part of the Country Passenger Transport Infrastructure Grants Scheme (CPTIGS).
Council’s Strategic and Community Development Manager, Mark Pepping said the $196,000 grant would improve access to public transport.
“The funding will help provide safer and more comfortable access for our commuters,” he said.
“Our elderly and disabled residents in particular will find access on and off our buses easier.”
The grant submission and subsequent distribution of funds came as a direct result of Wingecarribee 2031+, the Shire’s long-term strategic community plan.
“Residents have continually told us at community forums that they wanted improved public transport and better transport linkages between the Shire’s outlying towns and villages and the main town centres,” Mr Pepping said.
“Each location earmarked has different requirements. Some locations require relatively minor upgrades whereas others require total overhauls or in some cases, a full relocation.
“Some of the locations assigned funding will also receive kerb and guttering where this is not already in place,” Mr Pepping added.
As part of the project Council will provide additional monies towards linking footpaths and providing lighting.
“Council’s success in obtaining this grant is a huge step in providing residents and visitors to the Shire more comfortable and efficient public transport.”
The break-up of bus stop locations and funding is as follows:
- New Berrima, Ennis Ave (northern side) – $23,000
- Exeter, Exeter Rd (western side) – $19,000
- Exeter, Exeter Rd (eastern side) – $8,000
- Colo Vale, Railway Ave – $20,000
- Hill Top, West Pde (western side) – $19,000
- Hill Top, West Pde (eastern side) – $23,000
- Berrima Village, Old Hume Hwy (eastern side) – $25,000
- Mittagong, Main St (northern side) – $18,000
- Mittagong, Beatrice St – $18,000
- Robertson, Illawarra Hwy (northern side) – $19,000
- Robertson, Illawarra Hwy (southern side) – $4,000
Work on the 11 locations is expected to begin by mid 2012.
For more information contact Wingecarribee Shire Council’s CommunityWorker for Aged and Disability on phone 4868 0801.