Bushfire emergency contacts
Wingecarribee Shire Mayor Councillor Duncan Gair is reminding residents of the correct emergency contacts in the event of a bushfire.
“Fingers crossed that our Shire isn’t threatened by bushfires this summer,” Councillor Gair said. “But as we saw last October in our northern villages, it only takes minutes for a bushfire to spread out of control and threaten life and property.”
“With this in mind, our friends at the Rural Fire Service and Department of Primary Industries have provided us with some key messages and contacts should the worst case scenario unfold this summer.”
These messages include:
- In the event of a bushfire emergency, always contact 000 first.
- Have a Bush Fire Survival Plan ready and follow it.
- For more information on preparing a Bush Fire Survival Plan visit rfs.nsw.gov.au.
- Leaving early is the safest option.
- For up-to-date information on bushfires near you, call the Rural Fire Service’s (RFS) Bushfire Information Hotline on 1800 NSW RFS (1800 679 737).
- If necessary, the RFS will provide all information on evacuation centres for both people and livestock.
- If time permits, move any livestock to well-grazed paddocks.
- Do NOT let livestock out onto roads.
- For further information on preparing livestock in the event of bushfire visit dpi.nsw.gov.au/agriculture/emergency/bushfire
- If you have to evacuate, take your pets with you.
- For general information updates listen to the National Emergency Message broadcaster
(ABC Illawarra on 97.3 FM).
- Keep your mobile phone handy as SMS messages may be forwarded by emergency services.
“Heaven forbid we see a repeat of last year’s bushfires,” the Mayor added.
“But as the old adage goes, forewarned is forearmed and one way residents can better prepare themselves is to keep these phone numbers and messages close by.”