Hazard reduction burn occurring this weekend in Mt Alexandra Reserve
The Rural Fire Service (RFS) will be carrying out a Hazard Reduction burn this Saturday 25 and Sunday 26 August in Council’s Bushland Reserves on Mt Alexandra. These burns are being carried out in accordance with the Mt Alexandra Bushfire Management Plan.
The hazard reduction burns will be undertaken in the vicinity behind Sunset Point Drive, Mittagong.
Neighbours within 200 metres of this burn will be notified by letter box drop prior to the burn occurring.
Hazard reduction burns are used to clear undergrowth and ground fuels in strategic areas of bush land, particularly around the urban fringe. This work can assist in reducing the intensity of bush fires should they occur in these areas.
Residents around the hazard reduction burn areas are reminded to take the following precautions:
– Keep doors and windows closed to prevent smoke entering homes
– Keep outdoor furniture under cover to prevent ember burns
– Retract pool covers to prevent ember damage
– Remove washing from clotheslines
– Ensure pets have a protected area
– In smoky areas vehicles must slow down, keep windows up and turn headlights on
– Sightseers must keep away from hazard reduction burns for their own safety.
Mt Alexandra walking trails in the vicinity of the planned hazard reduction burns will be closed during the operation.
Advice regarding hazard reduction burns is also available on the RFS web site at www.rfs.nsw.gov.au.
For further information in relation to these Hazard Reduction Burns please contact Council’s Bushland Project Officer on 4868 0819.