As part of a collaborative arrangement between Wollondilly and Wingecarribee Councils, Wollondilly Council is extending the free bushfire waste drop-off service at Bargo Waste Management Centre currently offered to Wollondilly bushfire affected residents, to our bushfire affected neighbours in Wingecarribee (Balmoral and the Wingecarribee part of Buxton).
Letters are being sent to residents with advice about the service and items that will be accepted free of charge. The free service will be operational for eligible Wingecarribee neighbours from Tuesday 14 January 2020 to Friday 28 February 2020. To be eligible for the free service, residents should bring a copy of the letter and proof of their residential address, such as a driver licence or a rates notice. All loads will be inspected.
Acting CEO, Toni Averay said: “This is a great example of Councils working collaboratively to help residents towards healing and recovery across Council boundaries. When it comes to bushfires and community recovery, boundaries make no sense, so we need to work together.”
Wollondilly Mayor Matthew Deeth said: “I welcome the opportunity to work collaboratively with our Wingecarribee neighbours to help our bushfire affected communities. I’m am also happy to announce that the free service has been extended for Wollondilly bushfire affected residents from the previously announced 31 January 2020 to 28 February 2020”.
Wingecarribee Shire Mayor Duncan Gair said: “The offer was a great outcome for residents of both Balmoral and Buxton”.
“The Green Wattle Creek fire didn’t differentiate between Council boundaries,” he said.
“Likewise, with both Councils working collaboratively together we’re able to respond and provide assistance to residents regardless of which Shire they pay their rates in”.
“I thank Mayor Deeth and the staff of Wollondilly Shire Council for this generous offer and helping our bushfire affected residents move forward.”